Thursday, July 05, 2007

Volunteering in Mexico


As you know I am working in a bank, and it is the first time that I have not been involved so much with the third sector (NGOs, foundations, etc), however I have not been totally apart of it.. since I came here I joined the Sustainability Task Force of the bank and we have been interacting with some organizations that are making a wonderful job, however thei interaction was not exactly on field... was more like donations, cocktails and not so down to earth things... Until we found this great foundation called IMPULSA, and we decided to put our staff in the real world by offering the opportunity to volunteer in public schools.


We got 24 volunteers (out of 100 employees), and we start to pilot this partnership with Impulsa involving two public schools, focusing on secondary level (highschool) the objective of the program is to promote education among these kids so they don't quit school to try a job or something else... but to recognize the importance of education in order to break the poverty cycle.

Being a volunteer for this program was such a wonderful opportunity, to connect with the reality of Mexico, and to share with these kids some of my own experiences as student and how you can shape your life with the decisions you take... I had a class of about 45 kids, that I shared with another collegue (well I was not willing to go alone to the battlefield), and although I lost my voice and got pharyngeal inflammation we could manage to get them participating in all the activities in relative calm :)


The program lasted about 2 months, and it finished last week, I really miss these kids (Especially Giovana, Pepe, Hugo and Oliverio) who made me feel like "Maestra Jimena" of the famous mexican series "Carrusel", hahhaa.. it really made me considering being a teacher at some point of my life.. and be able to inspire and why not.. also to "entertain" my kids ( I have to tell you about the Shakira dance style story!).


I'm sure the bank will keep promoting this program, but while the new scholar year begins I will keep looking for ways to make this time in Mexico worthy....

See some more pics...

No comments: