Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Sustainable shopping...

I was checking this site: We are what we do looking for ways to act in a more sustainable way, and I found a very easy way to make this world a better place... avoid plastic.

For a while I was thinking of the hundreds of plastic bags that I have at home pilled up behind the washing maching, I was trying re-using (I use them to bring my lunch everyday to the office), but after checking this web, it made a click, besides re-using I can try rejecting and explaining people the reasons why plastic is not a good idea (education)...

So, the last time I went to the supermarket I brought a paper bag with me and put all my items there, I politely said to the cashier that I did not need one more plastic bag, that I had brought my own bag in order to contribute to the environment... I think she did not understood the point very well.. but it felt so good to do this small thing... then I thought that I could bring to the supermarket some of the plastic bags I have at home at least for my personal usage... although maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea to have a bag/plastic deposit for clients, so they can recycle it afterwards... suddenly some more ideas appeared and it makes more and more sense to me.

Some facts about plastic:
  • It takes approximately two billion barrels of oil to service the plastic bag industry in this country alone
  • A plastic bag can take up to 500 years to decay
It is amazing to realize how many simple, effortless things you can do, and how big is their impact if more and more people start implementing them... hope you also get involved!! :)


1 comment:

Verromoon said...

This is such a great idea Joha!!1 debes proponerlo. Contenedores de bolsas de plastico, genial!
vero